Friday, July 22, 2011

Experience Points: No More Heroes, Prey, SSFIV: AE, Shattered Soldier

I've been into quite a few games recently...here's my latest progress:

No More Heroes - I started this game up again recently on Bitter Mode...after having played Shadows of the Damned recently with my housemate, I was reminded about how damn good Suda 51 makes his games. I set out to go through NMH and NMH2: Desperate Struggle on Bitter mode as a result, but have hit a roadblock recently. A difficulty roadblock? Nope. The roadblock involves the fact that my housemate that I went through SotD with also started a game of No More Heroes and had never played it before, so I don't want to play it whenever he's around and spoil all the wicked boss fights for him. Once he powers through the game though, I'll pick it up again and continue with the sequel.

Prey - With Prey 2 looming over the horizon, I wanted to play through the original game again. I have a copy for PC (in a shiny tin with a big ol' art book, since I picked up the collector's edition), but my desktop PC has been fried for years and so I'm obviously shit out of luck with any post-Doom 3 game due to laptop limitations. However, I was made aware that Prey was available as a downloadable game on the XBox Live Marketplace, so I snatched it up again there for about $25. Playing through this game again was a blast. If you've never checked it out, it's a FPS that takes place entirely on an alien sphere that's been abducting people from the planet, you included. You play as a native American named Tommy who has some cool tricks up his sleeve that make for good puzzle elements...he can control his spirit out of his body and use it to bypass obstacles. This is used pretty well throughout the game and some crafty puzzles crop up from time to time. In addition, there are Portals not unlike those found in Valve's game...but Prey was in production long before Portal, and it also came out before Portal did, so Valve can suck it! Gravity manipulation is also a big part of Prey, and it makes for some cool puzzles and situations as well...but despite all this talk about puzzle elements, it's an FPS to the core and is very well paced with great enemies and a very cool and unique set of weapons to mess around with. If you're into sci-fi shooters, I would definitely recommend it!

If you're confused by this picture, just bear in mind that the main character is walking on the ceiling.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - I finally caved in and picked this damn game up. After watching my friends spend hours smacking people around online, I decided that my interest was piqued enough to buy this (hoepfully) final version of Street Fighter IV. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far...learning the moves and using them effectively against your opponents is ridiculously satisfying. So far I've mostly been using Cody, but Cammy and Sakura will likely get some use shortly as well. Not much to say about this game, really, other than I'm glad I finally snagged it at 40 bucks and with its fully-expanded roster.

Contra: Shattered Soldier - Something I've been wanting to tackle again for a long time now...Shattered Soldier is a tough, tough game, and I've been trying to get my housemate to play through it with me on Hard mode for a while. Today we gave it a shot, but couldn't go for Hard mode because I guess you have to unlock it through finishing Normal so we've started there for now. Our goal is to achieve 100% on every level in the game...unfortunately, this means we have to not die ONCE in our entire playthrough! Think it's impossible? I don't, and I don't think my housemate gets that impression either. After playing for a few solid hours of hectic side-scrolling shoot 'em up action today, we're certainly confident we can burn this puppy to the ground and roll around in the ashes! It'll be a bit of a project though, so I'm sure you'll hear about it over the coming weeks.

This turtle has a baby's head for an ass. DON'T ASK!

As for other random stuff!

Capcom sucks the big one these days...they just announced Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 with an expanded roster of 50 and 8 extra stages. Why does that suck, you ask? For one, I realize that once Ultimate comes out, no one will be playing the normal version anymore. Rather than make Ultimate a downloadable sort of thing like they did with Street Fighter IV and its various editions, you actually need to purchase a brand new disk. This is lame, but whatever...I figured I'd just return my old copy and get this one when it comes out at its $40 price tag. However, this won't be the case...although there are some cool new characters in Ultimate, such as Ghost Rider and Firebrand, Megaman is fucking missing. I figured that with the number of characters they're adding in, they'd ACTUALLY put Megaman in there because he should've been in the game to begin with. This is Capcom's version of Mickey Mouse or Mario. Nope, he's not there...and to top it off, they've canned Megaman Legends 3 and Megaman Universe, both of which I was looking forward to. I'm not quite sure what the deal is, but it's stupid and I don't feel like giving them my cash if they're gonna ignore their roots so blatantly. AND I'm likely gonna sell MvC3 anyway, because everyone will have moved on to the new version come November! I likely just sound a bit butthurt, but Megaman is one of my favourite series and it just seems like it's dying as a result of developer ignorance.

Mortal Kombat's final DLC character is Freddie Krueger. I have only one word to say about this: badass!

Guess that's it for now!

It's okay Megaman! I STILL LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment